Every good website has an FAQs page to help answer questions that existing and potential clients might have. Here’s ours:
About Web21 sites
Absolutely! One of the great things about a Web21.nz site is that you can change the look of your site without having to rewrite your content. Usually there’s some tinkering that needs to happen to make your front page and menus look right but we can get it sorted for you.
The content on your site can be changed by you at any time. In fact, one of the best ways to ensure that Google likes you is to add new content on a default basis. All Web21.nz clients have access to our help system, plus we offer a content management service for clients who would prefer us to do all of the work. We pride ourselves in working with you in whatever way works best for you.
The real basics
To add a link to a post or page follow these instructions:
- Type the word or words for your link, e.g. click here
- Use your mouse to highlight the link words
- Click the chain icon
- Paste the URL into the URL field, or select from the existing content in your site
- If you want the link to open in a new window click the box
- Click [Add link]
To add a picture to a post or page please follow these steps.
- Create a new post/page or open an existing one
- Choose the relevant categories
- Add some words to your post
- Click on [Add Media]
- Select the image from your Media Library or upload a new one.
- Add a caption to your image if you wish
- Choose the alignment for your image: left, centre or right
- Choose one of the following options from the Link to: select menu
- Media File – when clicked the image will open in a full screen
- Custom URL – if you’re real clever and want a new webpage to be loaded when the image is clicked
- None – nothing will happen when the image is clicked
- Choose the image size
- Click [Insert into page]
- Click [Publish]
Some extra tricks…
There are some other funky things you can do with your images. Click on the image once within your post or page and the Selected Image panel will open. Here you play with the image size, alignment, captions and even add a border. We recommend playing with these options and then choosing one consistent pattern for the way you display images on your site.
Here at Web21 we do our level-best to avoid using jargon, but when it comes to keep your website up-to-date there are a few things that you need to know. On the other hand, if you’d prefer up to be making the changes for you so that you can skip the technical stuff altogether, we’re here to help. Click here for more details on our website update service.
|The Jargon||What it means|
|Admin area||The “backend” o your website accessible only by you, in which you can make changes to your site|
|Category||A classification method to sort and group posts on your website|
|Event||An entry in your website’s calendar|
|Gallery||A collection of pictures that are shown in a full-screen slideshow when clicked on|
|Groups||Collections of subscribers with access to secure parts of your website|
|Lists||Collections of subscribers used for sending newsletters|
|Media Library||The module within your website where images and video are stored. Once uploaded they can then be used in posts, pages, events and sliders.|
|Menu||A set of links or buttons which visitors to your site use to navigate their way around|
|Page||A static webpage within your website which doesn’t change often|
|Posts||Individual pieces of content within your website such as news items. Think of Posts as entries in a journal or diary|
|Slider||A rotating slideshow of images or posts, usually appearing on your site’s front page|
|Subscriber||A visitor to your site who has signed up to receive newsletters and/or access secure areas of your site|
|Theme||Your website uses a theme which controls to visual aspects of your website|
|WP Menu||The menu which appears at the left of your screen|
Our website is managed via WordPress, a very powerful web design with a great many features. Many of these features are unnecessary for the management of our Web21.nz site.
The screen for adding and editing posts and pages can be too busy. To reduce the number of panels on your page click on Screen Options at the top right hand corner of the screen.
The only items which should be ticked are these:
- Selected image
- Featured image
Getting stuff done
Many Web21.nz themes feature one or more advertisements in the sidebar. These advertisements are actually pages within your site, displayed in a slightly different manner. To edit an advertisement, follow these instructions:
- Click on Pages
- Type site admin into the search field at top right and click [Search pages]
- Click on page related to the advertisement you want to edit. The name of the page will refer to the location of advertisement on your website, see blow for examples.
- Edit the advertisement
- Click [Publish]
Example advertisement names:
[Site admin] Contact details at bottom left
[Site admin] Client testimonial in the right-hand sidebar
[Side admin] Call to action on home page
To add a beautiful picture gallery to a post or page please follow these instructions. There are two steps: create the gallery, and then insert the gallery.
Create a gallery
- Click on Envira Gallery from the Main Menu at right
- Click on Add New
- Enter a title for your gallery
- To add files from your computer, click [Select Files], or to add pictures from another source such as your Media Library click [Click here to insert from other image sources]
- Select your images and click [Insert Media into Gallery]
- If you would like to add a caption to each image, click the blue (i) icon on the image
- Click [Publish]
Insert a gallery
- Click the [Add Gallery] button above the tool icons
- Select the desired gallery
- Click [Insert Gallery]
- Click [Publish] or [Update] as required to save your post or page.
To add an event to the Calendar please complete the following steps.
Please note that these instructions are for calendar entries only – you may wish to create a post in order to promote an event to your subscribers.
- Click on Events from the Main Menu at right
- Enter the event title
- Add further information or notes about the event
- Select All-day event if appropriate
- Enter the start date and time
- Enter the end date and time
- Enter further information such as venue and ticket price as required
- Set the Featured Image if possible.
- Click [Publish]